Saturday, September 24, 2011

Does the Date Doctor Really Get it Right?

Just recently at my college we had David Coleman the real life "Hitch" come and speak to our new and returning students during New Student Week. Right at the beginning he announced that he does not know anything about same-sex relationships because he has not been in one. He then goes onto explain that if you like girls listen to this part, and if you prefer men listen to this part... so on and so forth! But he made these points on how women let people know if they are interested and how men let people know if they are interested. However, I do not think that all women/men flirt the same way. Anyone who has been hit on by more than one person can notice this. I know after having a really hard breakup I am not going to keep eye contact with a person I am interested in. I do that because of trust issues no matter how long I have been single. I feel as the Date Doctor had some very good points but he did not address the LGBTQ community. He did generalize dating with what gender a person might conform to, but there are just some people who do not conform to the Gender Binary.


Later on that night I did hear a few of my peers having the same questions and concerns. So I want to know what schools can do to fill in the gaps to the student body who isn't always in the know? Sure we can invite them to Safe Zone training's and have tables out in our student center with information, but that really does not impact the student body at all.
I know my school is big on a lot of things, Education, ASL, Criminal Justice. But those are just majors I know that my school is big on having a safe and aware LGBTQA Community. However, I do think that there are too many students who aren't in the know about that community. I do identify in this community and I can tell you all from experience that, yes WOU has a great LGBTQA community, but multiply that by three and that is how many students are unaware/allies//// etc etc

So what do we do about this? Our tactics as of now are not always working and I feel as if we are not reaching enough students. 
Comment what you think colleges/universities should do to make a more LGBTQ safe/aware/allied community.

No comments:

Post a Comment